Monday 2 February 2015

Pastel Drawing

In this session on the 26 January 2015 we were using pastels to draw the life model. First I started by lightly drawing the outline of the figure with a 2B pencil, then started to add colour and tone using the pastels. I used light brown paper because it is a mid colour between black and white meaning I could show both the lighter and darker tones in my drawing. Materials I used during this session were a 2B pencil, pastels and brown paper. Techniques I used were drawing, shading and tonal study and measuring. Formal elements I looked at are shape and form, tone, colour and scale. 

Areas of my work that I think worked well are the tone on the robe because it looks quite realistic and has good contrast. I like the range of times I have used. Areas of my work I think I need to work on are the proportions of my drawing, and blending the tone and colour so it looks smoother and more 3D. I think my shading looks too flat and unrealistic. I also think that the face and hands and feet aren't accurate because I really struggle to draw them, especially with materials like pastels, charcoal and paints where you don't have much control of small details. I don't think this is one of the best pieces of work I have produced, but I think it turned out alright as a practice drawing using pastels.

To extend my skills I have researched and looked at other peoples pastel drawing on the Internet and compared them to my own to help identify areas I could improve. These areas are adding smooth tone, having more of a range of tone, and paying attention to small details.

No comments:

Post a Comment